Madisonville City Park
755 Park Ave.
Madisonville, KY 42431
The Madisonville City Park was built during the late 1930's and early 1940's and was a project of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) which provided jobs for the enemployeed during the Great Depression of the United States. The land was purchased by the City of Madisonville under Mayor Beverly Waddill and was originally named 'Waddill's Folley'.
The Park featured a 9-hole golf course that was considered one of the better municipal courses in the state. In addition, the Park featured lakes for fishing and swimming, a playground and picnic areas, and a baseball stadium that was called Municipal Stadium. The field was later renamed Elmer Kelley Stadium in the 1970's in honor of long-time radio and sports personality, Elmer Kelley. The field was once home to the Madisonville Miners, a professional baseball team from the 1946 through 1955.
The Golf Course was dedicated in 1939 with the Park Clubhouse and baseball stadium following in 1941. The Park's swimming pool was constructed in the early 1970's and was completely renovated in 2003.
Clubhouse construction in 1939